Thursday, January 12, 2012

Learning, learning, learning

Learning amazes me.  Especially when I learn about You, Lord.  And the learning You have brought me into lately has been the kind that elicits deep "Oooo's" and "Ahhhh's" from me.

For instance, the Kerite Jew who studied original manuscripts and deciphered the most probable name for You.  I never noticed all the scripture that tells us specifically to call on the "name" of the Lord.  But we have taken for granted all the names we use are generally "titles" and not your actual name.  What a profoundly friendly and neighborly thing it is to know Your name.  A deeply satisfying effect it had on my heart to learn this.

And next You swooped me right into research of our "religious traditions".  Now that was eye-opening how far we are from the "church" that Jesus knew.  But again, so comforting to hear of the simplicity of worship You chose, the leadership of Your Spirit without the buffering of men, and the completely personal communication You had with Your believers. 

I thrill at Your educating me.  Freely I gave You the reins and quickly You have forged ahead.  I barely have time to digest the one and the next is before me.

One common thread goes through it all.  You are showing me Yourself, as a personality, a character of depth, with a singular desire to "be in love and share it all".  And I find that You are interesting and lovable and . . . so comfortable.

Why are there those who fear searching?  Those who fear that knowledge and truth will crumble their faith?  In taking the chance to trust You and plunge forward, I have learned horrible truths about mankind which lead only to more pleasant truths about You.  I'm no longer afraid.  I have found that there is no fact that cannot lead me even closer to You.

I am in awe.

No comments: