Thursday, October 28, 2010

did I ever tell you . . .

"Way back when we first met, did I tell you I was using drugs daily? No, I'm sure I didn't.  But I was.  I was running.  I was such a mess.  And then I met you."  she sighed and looked down at the ground.
My heart went out to her, but I didn't move.  I waited and let her thoughts come together to tell me what she had been waiting to say.
"You prayed with me.  Do you remember that?" she looked up with eyes puddled in tears.
"Yes, I do." I remembered it, but she didn't know it was the first time in my life I had the courage to grab a hand and boldly begin praying out loud.  It felt like I was standing in the background surprised, looking at myself and amazed by what was happening.
"I believe God puts people in our lives at just the right moment.  Don't you?" her eyes searching mine.
"Yes, I do." I had this same sort of thing happen to me when I was at my lowest point in life.
"You taught me to pray out loud.  I've been doing it ever since.  I remember everything you ever told me about God.  Every time I called you upset or crying, you taught me something that helped me.  I will never forget.  Never." her eyes were shining with tears she was straining to hold back.

Later I sat in my truck in silence and in awe.  Those times she had talked about were never by my own creation.  I had said words to her many times, that came from somewhere other than myself.  And now I was moved beyond words at the ministry that had presented itself to this woman thru me, and without my preconcieved, predetermined plan.  I hadn't even known what the problems really were.
Not only had God answered her prayers, but He had answered mine as I prayed each morning that He use me in whatever way He chose.

And He did. 

No comments: